Monday, November 19, 2007

1 Down, 3 to go

Well, I survived the 1st of the 3 kyphoplasty operations, although there
were times I wondered if I would. L1 was done under vertebroplasty, L2 & L3
under kyphoplasty, where they use a baloon to expand the site. Today is 5
days after the procedure, and there is virtually no pain where the procedure
was performed. I've also noticed that I can walk a little straighter with no
pain, but my body, from old habits, wants to huntch, so I,ve got to be
conscious of that. I don't get the pain I used to get when trying to walk
straight.

The only problem I've had is that the procedure is done with me laying on my
stomach. I believe that sometime during the procedure, I cracked a rib on my
right side up high. The pain is pretty sharp, especially if I try to breathe
deeply. Some extra percocet has helped with that. In the past the fractures usually
heal in about 2 weeks or so. This one really scared me because of the pain I felt when I tried to breathe deeply.

I've noticed a slight improvement in the last 2
days. Hopefully, by turkey day, there will be further improvement, since we're going away to Arlene's son for the holiday.

My next procedure will be my parathyroidectamy scheduled for Friday 12/14,
followed by my 2nd kyphoplasty on 12/19, a Wednesday. This is only 5 days
apart, while ideally it should be a week. It's a little close, but because
of scheduling problems, it can't be helped. It should be ok as long as I
don't crack another rib. The 3rd kyphoplasty will be scheduled after the 2nd one is done.

Have a nice thanksgiving everyone. Be thankful and appreciative of what you have rather than sad because of the things you don't or no longer have.

1 comment:

Cory said...

So glad to hear that you are better. (Although the cracked rib does suck!) It's great that you have gotten rid of some of the pain. Just remember to correct your posture!
Hope you and Arlene have a wonderful Thanksgiving visit with her son!