Saturday, April 5, 2008

No news is good news

No news is good news. Had 2 doctor appointments last week. The urologist examined my bladder and indicated that it remains free of cancer. My oncologist basically said that the leukemia remains stable, my anemia is improving, my color has returned and my mental attitude has improved. According to him, I could live like this for years.
I continue to have some pain in some areas of my back. My final kyphoplasty surgery on my spine was cancelled by the doctor and rescheduled for May 6th. I think it was a bullshit cancellation - he had to go to a conference - yea yea. Hopefully that procedure will relieve the pain. I walk without any aids except if I walk distances, in which case I need my walker. But I get around fine with no walking aids doing everyday tasks.
My voice remains high pitched from my parathyroid surgery. Apparently, one of the vocal cords still isn't moving. I see the doctor on this around the end of May. It can take up to a year for the condition to correct on its own. If it doesn't correct within a year, it's permanent. It's also creating some other minor problems for me. There is a surgical procedure to correct this which is done under general anesthesia and generally does not involve a hospital stay. (that's what they said about my parathyroid surgery). I will think long and hard before I get it done, but if I get it done, it'll have to be before the next reunion with my buddies because I'll never hear the end of it if I go with a high pitched squeaky voice.
Looking forward to getting away from here in less than 3 weeks. I love our house and its location in the hills, but after being cooped up here this past winter, Arlene and I just need a change of scenery.

3 comments:

Cory said...

Glad to hear that you are doing relatively well. It's great that you are getting around without the walker.
I can certainly understand you wanting to lose the high voice before meeting up with your friends again. Good luck with that!

Suzy said...

Glad things are OK with you.xx

Moby Dick said...

Keep sticking it to the man!!