Saturday, October 27, 2007

A vacation

Unbelievable - 3 weeks without any doctor's appointments. I only have labs which can be done at my convenience. A vacation of sorts.

Friday, I had my MRI which will determine whether I can have the kyphoplasty operation. I should know this week. As usual, there was pain associated with the MRI, being in 1 position for 45 minutes without moving. Unfortunately, it carried over the rest of the day. BUT, I took Arlene to lunch after the procedure. I suprised her by suggesting it and it was nice.

At Kaiser, the sqweeky wheel gets the grease. I bitched to enough people about the long wait for the operation on my parathyroids. I got a call from the surgery scheduler on Thursday, stating she had an opening for the surgery in mid December. Of course, I accepted it as it was better than the end of January. I had a chance to talk to her about my situation, and she promised me that should there be a cancellation before then, she would contact me. That's great.

I've had some rib fractures due to the osteoporosis, and I had e-mailed my oncologist about them, just to let him know, since you basically don't treat rib fractures. I got a response on Thursday in which he actually cracked a joke and signed it with his first name only - no MD, etc. I thought that was great - here's a doc that actually can act like a human being. I had also seen him on Monday for my monthly appointment. He had promised to intercede on my behalf to try to get the parathyroid operation moved up. He also confirmed that the leukemia is still stable and that at this time he doesn't want to treat it. We'll see how that winds up when all this other stuff gets done.

The prior weekend, Arlene and I went to see our new granddaughter - a 122 mile trip one way.
We decided to check out property in a beach area about a half-hour away from them since I can't physically do the trip back and forth in 1 day. I figured it would double as a vacation home. Too expensive for us, even with "depressed prices" in the area. The visit itself was nice. I got to hold and feed her while I was there and she didn't even cry. Very nice.

We finally sent the hospital bed back. Yea - we got our family room back. I got a sleeping wedge to use on a regular bed. That worked real well for me. I also got a gel-foam pad that came with the hospital bed. Those 2 things help me sleep well in a regular bed.

A reunion buddie of mine keeps telling me to "keep the faith". I Am

2 comments:

Cory said...

Glad to hear things are going so well for you. It's awesome that you were able to get your surgery moved up a bit.

Anonymous said...

HI There, I was just doing some research on Kyphoplasty. My 75 yr old mother is in the ER with a compression fracture. I was told by the ER doctor than Kyphoplasty is what she needs, but didn't know if Kaiser covered it. Sounds like you were able to get it? That's great! Any chance you could tell me just how 'squeeky I need to be" with Kaiser to get the surgery for my Mom? They are so hard to deal with, as you know! Donna (email: dsabel@co.napa.ca.us)