Saturday, October 6, 2007

My upcoming week

This morning, I got a call from one of my reunion buddies who lives in LA. Wanted to know how I was doing and my plans for the reunion. I told him. We BS'd for a while and then said goodby. I really felt good after the call- it got me thinking about friends and how good it is to have some, even if you only see them once a year. Especially friends you've known since you were a teen ager and with whom you've raised a little hell in your younger years. These are people you can say anything to, insult all the time, and can talk about the most intimate things.

I had a major accomplishment this morning. Arlene's computer is connected wirelessly to the internet and for the last month it's been giving us problems, shutting the connection unexpectedly. I tried a new wireless usb adaptor - same problem. So screw it, I decided to hardwire it to my dsl modem. I did it. Lots of moaning and groaning with back pain as I was working (its in another room). When done, I had to rest for a while. A month ago, there was no way I would ever try doing that. YEA FOR ME. The computer is working fine now.

I no longer use any kind of support around the house. No canes, no walkers. Just me and my two feet. What a good feeling that is. My back hurts after I walk in the house, but I expect that.
My doctor will find out where in Kaiser they do kyphoplasty. This will relieve the pain and restore some of the height I've lost. This will get done after my parathyroid surgery, which I'll find out about this wednesday.

The other day, I tried laying in our king size bed - painful if I lay straight on my back. My mind is working tho, and I think about a wedge pillow, which would approximate the angle of my hospital bed, where I sleep with no discomfort. I find several on the internet. I will order one next week and this should allow me to get rid of that hospital bed we have in our family room.

I'm looking forward to the coming week - more medical answers and my reunion.

4 comments:

Cory said...

It is always good to have friends. I'm glad you're feeling well enough to make your reunion!

And getting around the house without any support is an awesome acheivement! I hope the wedge pillow works out for you as well.

Moby Dick said...

You are very lucky. I have lost touch with just about everyone from my school days and I often recall the old guys and wonder what they have been doing.

Matt said...

Hi Iron-man. Thanx for commenting on my blog. We got started doing this 22 years ago and have done it every year since. I've known some of the guys for 60 years when I was 10. We were more than school buddies - we were friends and were constantly in touch till our mid 20's when we started to drift apart due to careers or whatever. What's really great is that we haven't lost anything from the old days and one of the guys has passed on.

Shannon said...

Matt you are too funny! Thanks for visiting my blog :-)

I'm glad to hear your reunion is soon. Reunions are so much fun. Friends are a necessity in life, that's for sure!

I'm also tickled to death that you are able to navigate through your house w/o any assistance! That's awesome!

Good luck with getting a good wedge. That sounds like a perfect solution for you!