Sunday, September 30, 2007

My UCSF Visit

Saw my UCSF oncologist on Friday. He concurred with my Kaiser oncologist that my CMML was the least of my problems right now as it is still under control and not showing any signs of progression. Good.

He told me about a procedure called kyphoplasty which can restore most of the lost height that I have suffered due to my compression fractures in my spine. It's a minimally invasive procedure.
Don't know if Kaiser pays for it, but will look into it when the other stuff gets done.

My parathyroid scan is scheduled for next monday, the 8th. It's another procedure that involves injection of radioactive stuff and a series of x-rays. After that is done, I'll be scheduled for surgery if that's the decision based on the results. My endocrinologist keeps telling me that I have the option of NOT doing the surgery. How can that be an option if my bones continue to break due to excessive parathyroid hormone in my body????? Do they want me to lose another 4 to 6 inches in height????

I need to make a decision regarding my upcoming reunion. I will probably just go for 1 day on
Saturday. I'll be hampered by my inability to walk normally - and I start physical therapy on Monday - but I'll still be able to see everyone and yes, they'll squeeze 2 days of crap that they'll give me into 1 day.

I still believe I'm going to get thru all this crap that's happened to me to where my only problem will be the leukemia.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt I think it is good that you are going to the reunion. It will do you good to see your friends! I hope you are feeling better today.

Suzy said...

You will enjoy the reunion, so I hope you can go even for a day.
Best of luck on Monday for your scan.
You are certainly having MORE than your share of "crap" thrown at you. Thank goodness you have such a positive attitude. ;-)

I am sending you some positive vibes too ++++++++++++++++++++ :-)

Pandora Woman said...

*reads your blog for quite some time, and leaves a warm hug for someone I don't know at all, but have admiration for*

xtexan1 said...

Matt -- I'm writing for a friend who thinks that running across your blog is an astounding coincidence. She is very impressed by your courage in putting your story out like this. Her husband was just diagnosed with CMML, and has Kaiser coverage, but wants to be treated by the experts they've consulted at UCSF. She would love to talk to you about your experience, any suggestions you might have, etc. If you'd be willing to talk with her, please get in touch and I'll get you two in contact. (She has her own health issues and asked me to contact you for her.) Best of luck to you!