Saturday, September 15, 2007

The c-pap machine sucks

The c-pap machine sucks. There's no other way to put it. I tried it 3 times last night and each time I had to pull the mask off. I had this tremendous feeling of panic with the mask on my face blowing air up my nose constantly. I had to fight to exhale - imagine a battle between my exhaled air and the c-pap air fighting to see who would win. All it did was panic me. I may try it again. Or not.

The whole reason for the machine was to make sure I would continue to breathe throughout the night. When in the hospital, while all doped up on opiates, I did have problems breathing. I blame that on the opiates. Once I cut back on the opiates, I had no problems I was aware of. The nurses who monitored my vitals said my oxygen saturation at night was in the low to mid 90's - a good value - and they couldn't understand why I needed the machine.

Last night, after I pulled the mask off, I didn't want to go to sleep. I was afraid of dying in my sleep, a feeling I did not have before the c-pap machine. Arlene finally took the machine and put it out of sight. Good. I hate the machine more for what it represents to me than what it actually is. I watched TV till I finally conked out and went to sleep. I also made a decision. I will no longer takes opiates before I go to sleep. I will also start using the nasal strips to help me get more air.

I've also decided to resume my walking. Because of the pain in my groin and the bladder operation, I stopped walking. I feel like I've been set back about 6 weeks and I refuse to accept that, so my walking resumes. I hope it also improves my attitude.

Tuesday, we're going to visit my new granddaughter. It's about a 2 hour drive and I'm going to do the driving, which will be good for me. I look forward to that as taking another step. It will also help me get out of this "poor me" funk I seem to be stuck in.

6 comments:

Walter and Laura said...

My husband doesn't care for his c-pap machine much either but it has helped him to get more restful sleep. he doesn't end up using it every night though...hang in there!

Christine said...

My father in law was just given a cpap as well - and he had a panic feeling at first too. I am assuming that you aren't alone in this feeling.

I hope that you can try it again - it is there to help and it sure does work. My father in law has never slept so well.

Easier said than done though...you take care.

Cory said...

That machine certainly sounds scary. I don't blame you for hating it.
I hope you have a wonderful trip to visit your new granddaughter. I think it's great that you feel you are up to driving that far.
And good for you starting up your walking again. I thnk it should really help you.

Shannon said...

Hi Matt! I am new here........drifted over from another blog you commented on.

I hope your visit to see your granddaughter went wonderfully!

Unknown said...

Sorry that c-pap didn't work for you. Maybe you will have to try it again to get used to it. I hope you have a good trip. And good for you for starting your walking habit back up.

Moby Dick said...

C-pap is for p*ssies! Good for you that you took it off. If you are really in bad shape, keep it on. Otherwise, forget it. I told you that I knew this guy who is forty years old that sleeps with the thing on for the past four years or more and he loves it. I think he is a total loser, and I am glad that you have proven exactly what I always thought about that machine.

It is nuts to sleep with something like that on your face unless you are in really bad shape. In that case, get an oxygen tank. My grandma used to sleep with oxygen, but then she was 92 when she passed away.

I hope you are doing good and do not need the machine. Sell it on e-bay! (remember that I am not a doctor and I have no f*ckin' idea what I am talkin' about)