Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bladder cancer surgery

Yesterday, I underwent successful surgery for my bladder cancer:

1. The cancer was superficial - stage 0. It sat on my bladder and was
not involved with the bladder walls
2.The doctor believes he got all of it since it was superficial.
3. He believes it is the slow growing non aggressive type of cancer.
Pathology will have to confirm, but based on his experience, that's what he
believes. surgery was thru the urethra. Was I glad I was out.

I have a catheter in me which comes out on Monday. Miserable. I'll have to
undergoe checkups every 3 to 6 months since this cancer does tend to return,
but right now everything looks favorable. The surgery was done as an
outpatient. I was really scared about this one.

On the 29th, I was put in the hospital for uncontrolable pain. I was there
for 4 days till they were able to control the pain and while I was there I
developed a bladder infection. That was just great. At one point I wondered
if I was going to die there, but I keep remembering to keep the faith, as
Bruce is always saying. My kids both flew up from LA and I guess that's what
scared me. Bedpans, urinals etc - the whole 9 yards. ugh!!!

Both these hospital episodes scared the shit out of me and I thought I was going to die. I hate hospitals. If my diseases progress and I die, so be it, but at least leave me wth dignity and allow me what little time I may have to enjoy my family, including my new granddaughter "Maddy"

2 comments:

Moby Dick said...

When I had neck surgery they put a drainage tube into my neck which dripped blood into a rubber ball. Glad you don't have one of those in you wee-wee!!

Hospitals scare the shit out of anyone who is not crazy. They stick you, prod you, pull you, move you, and when you are out it is probably worse. Waking up from anasthesia is one of the most horrible experiences I have had. I was throwing up the whole time, and since it was neck surgery, all the puke was dark blood.

The Post Op Nurse was the biggest asshole I have ever met, she was loud as hell and right in my face. She pulled the tape off the nozzle on my nose and left half the skin off my nose hanging to the tape. She yanked the tube that was in my weiner and I was too dazed to feel any pain but I knew it must have hurt. I hope your experience was better.

Matt said...

Thanks, spidey. My experience was better. I belong to Kaiser, an HMO and this particular Kaiser is the highest rated Kaiser in California in terms of customer satisfaction.I have nothing but good to say about them. And nobody yanked anything out of my weiner. Imagine talking about a hospital in terms of customer satisfaction - like you have a choice. Just lucky, I guess