Monday, September 10, 2007

The Cath is Out

Had my post-op meeting with my urologist today. He removed the catheter. He
also confirmed that the cancer I had, if one was to have cancer, was the
best kind to have. It was superficial and just on top of the bladder walls,
but not in the walls of the bladder. It was a non-invasive slow growing type
of cancer. And he confirmed that he did get it all.

This type of cancer tends to reoccur, so I will have to have checkups every
3 months to begin with. If no cancer is found, the checkups can be extended
to every 6 months. This is another one of those great visual exams where they insert a
cystoscope into the bladder and have a look-see. Great fun.

The bone marrow biopsy results are also back. No significant changes, which
means that the CMML - Leukemia - is still stable. YEA!!! At the end of the month, I'll meet with my Doc at UCSF and he'll review everything with me.

While in the hospital, one of the docs there worked at the Fred Hutchinson
Center in Seattle. He told me that when there were platelet donors there, he
always had them drink a beer or 2 before donating platelets because it
brings the platelet level up. Non-alcoholic beer also works, which is what
I'm now doing as alcoholic beer can bring on a gout attack. Too bad. I
wonder if I can write it off as a medical expense?
That might raise a red flag at the IRS.

I'm beginning to get a real positive feeling about the next 12 months. Yea, I got alot of crap I have to deal with - weak bones, parathyroid problems, broken but healing hips, pain, etc-
but I feel that these are just bumps in the road, and I will continue to increase the quality of my life. I want to do something really nice for Arlene and I'll have to figure that out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you got dome good news! Sounds like you are feeling better too :)

Moby Dick said...

Yeah! Damn right! Kick ass on the medical problems!

The 49ers are back! The slapped down Arizona! Good for you!

Cory said...

That's good news, although those checkups don't sound like soemthing to brighten the day. :)

Shannon said...

I am VERY happy to read this post! VERY happy! Wonderful news!

You are a very funny man :-) I do believe writing off beer would send up a red flag, but probably no bigger for those that can smoke marijuana for "medical" purposes (I know it helps some, it's just humorous to me :-)

Have you figured out what you are going to do for Arlene?