Monday, August 13, 2007

When it rains, It pours.

My son & his family visited this Sunday. Only 6 came as 1 grandson+ girlfriend didn't make the trip. Great visit and I'm glad they came. It made me feel good and they finally got a chance to see me since all my problems surfaced. I don't know what they expected, but they said I looked "normal" except for walking hunched over and maybe a little pale.

It seems that the urologist discovered I had a cancer on my bladder. He'll remove it on the 5th when I go in for surgery. The only difference now is that I'll have to have a catheter for a few days after surgery. Double YUK!! He doesn't appear too concerned about it. He thinks it's of the slow growing variety or he'd want it out now, and he thinks he can get it all using minimally invasive surgery. You can guess what that means and I'm glad I'll be out for the surgery.

My rheumatologist thinks that I have spinal stenosis and that's what's causing my pain. Wednesday I'm having a bone scan done to see if that's what I have. This is nuclear medicine and I have to drink some radioactive stuff and then they scan me 3 hours later. Hopefully, I'll have the results by the end of the week. If that's what I have, one of the fixes is surgery. Great!

I'm handling this all pretty well. I'm not upset and am handling this in a matter of fact mode. I just hope I'm not in denial. It's like I'm an old car and at the age where parts break down and you have to fix them. I just hope they don't run out of body parts. I hope none of this interfere's with my attending the reunion or I'll get a raft of shit from the guys.

Oh by the way, my lukemia is still stable. Its strange that the initial diagnosis that turned my life upside down is the one thing where I have yet to have a real problem. But once I get all this other crap taken care of, I will deal with the leukemia one way or another.

3 comments:

Cory said...

Glad to hear the family trip went well! It's great that you got to see them. Sorry to hear about all the problems you're having, but at least your lukemia is still stable!

Unknown said...

Matt I am glad you got to see and enjoy your family. I can't believe all the crappy news you have been getting lately! I am praying for your body to heal. I know you will be ok in surgery because you have such a good attitude. I admire your strength and courage :) Blessings to you!

Moby Dick said...

Surgery is cool. They take out the bad stuff and leave you with interesting scars. Of course, you don't want a big scar in the place where you are getting one of the surgeries...Then again, it would be an interesting talking point if you have a VFW Post nearby that you can visit...The old veterans will never be able to top your battle scar!