Thursday, May 17, 2007

More Backround - what's happening

I was a healthy guy, working part time, walking 2-3 miles a day, reasonably fit with no major health issues. I get this diagnosis and it's like I fall into a giant abyss with health issues. The CMML is not giving me problems - all my blood values are consistant and stable and I have no symptoms, but everything else that never gave me a problem is now a problem.
I'd been previously diagnosed with gout, and pretty much held it under control with diet and meds. Now I'm starting to get gout attacks. HURTS LIKE HELL and at times I just want to end it all. Treatment is with steroids - prednisone either orally or by injection. Works pretty well. Why am I getting attacks now???
Time for a colonoscopy to make sure I'm not "leaking iron". Hello. I've got an esophageal ulcer. Cute little bugger. Treat it with Prilosec and it clears up. NO POLYPS. Great news. The procedure is not a big deal, but preparing for it is.
I have an ongoing problem with thrombocytopenia - low platelets. If it gets too low, it can cause spontaneous bleeding. Treatment is with steroids - just like gout. Usually after a 2 week steroid taper (start with a high dose and taper back the dose over a 2 week period), the platelets increase. Dr K says it is ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpurea) and not related to the CMML
I now develop bad back pain and severely limited motion. Diagnosis: osteoarthritis. Treatment - physical therapy, heavy duty pain killers - oxycontin - for severe pain, and, you guessed it: steroids. I see a chiropractor and an accupuncturist and while there is some relief, it is not lasting. I do reasonably well with the steroids which masks the inflammatory symptoms and relieves the pain.
With all the stopping and starting of steroids, Dr K decides to put me on a long term steroid taper. Then the shit hits the fan.

No comments: