Thursday, June 21, 2007

The healing continues - correctly I hope

Fathers day June 17th - My depression deepened that day. Both my kids and stepkids called me and I couldn't help crying each time. It may have been a reaction to getting off the morphine - I've been off for 6 days now with no further effects. Or it may have been me being in touch with my feelings at a deep level. Anyway, I accept it as being who I am.
I am now sleeping in bed - yea for me. I can only sleep in one position on my back, but the sleep is good and deep and I wake up refreshed. I'm also reading before I go to sleep, something I couldn't do a week ago. My butt indentation on the couch is going away.
I continue with my walking 10 to 15 minutes a day with my walker. It tires me, but I feel good about it. I can also walk with my cane without using my free hand to balance myself. Progress. There's improvement in fluidity in transitioning from sitting to standing. I also took a shower today by myself. Further progress.
My doctor has ok'd me using our eliptical cross trainer for further exercise as long as I don't overdo it. I plan to start today or tomorrow at it's lowest level for 5 minutes or so.
The last few days have been pretty good ones for me. I feel no depression. I have diminished pain, though I still use Percocet up to 3 times a day to help relieve it, which is fine with my doctor. I generally feel good about my progress and there are periods during the day that I just feel real good. During my walking, I try to pick up my speed when I can.
While everything seems to indicate that I'm healing correctly, I see my doctor in a couple of weeks, and will find out then.
My latest blood test continues to show my CMML is still stable. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that yet, but the type of treatment - treat with Dacogen - is set for when I have to deal with it.

3 comments:

Cory said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better!!! That's great news. :)

Anonymous said...

My father was diagnosed with CMML last July. He had kidney disease, gout, heart problem, and diabetes prior to the diagnose. He is 70 years old, and he was newly immigranted from China and shortly was diaganosed and does not speak English. Father's day I took him to a sea food restaurnat, and he told me it is his first father's day since we do not celebrate father's day in China and the best food that he ahs ever had. However, gout attacked him due to the sea food. This time the pain is in both hips and he kept it secret form me because he do not want me to worry. I only found out tonight when I wnet to see him. He finally told me the truth, the pain is 9 in a scale of 0 to 10. I do not know how he is coping all these. He had heart problem last night too. Today he got 6 tubes of blood taken for his kidney doctor and Tuesday he needs to get an iron infusion and see his oncologist.The oncologist is holding off dacogen since he is still consider stable. His white is very high 43K and platelete is 56, which went up last time. He does not speak English, do not drive. He must be an extraordinary man to handle all those pain, misery and he never showed any sign of complain, never said one sad word.

Matt said...

Dear anonymous- thank you for commenting. I also have gout and am careful about what I eat, though I still get attacks. I've started using SHARK LIVER OIL for my low platelets and it seems to help. I admire your father for not complaining about the pain. I complain, and loudly especially to my doctors. It helps.
I'm glad your fathers CMML is stable and I wish him well
Matt