Friday, June 29, 2007

Small Steps

The healing continues. Small steps that show improvement. I now can sleep on my side in bed. I can take 3 to 5 steps on my own without any support from a cane or walker. My daily exercise continues, although I'm tired after each walk. There is no pain at the site of the fracture, although I have developed additional pain on my right side. I've decided not to be a hero and am taking pain pills during the day for this new pain. They help. I see my orthopedist in 10 days for x-rays and further evaluation of the healing, as well as figuring out this new pain.
I've read some statistics on hip fractures and only 1/3 to 1/2 of those who get them return to prefracture activity, while the rest will need things like canes or walkers the rest of their lives. That scares the shit out of me. I'm going to focus on the positive, and will do whatever physical therapy is necessary to come out of this whole again.
Throughout all this, my one rock has been Arlene. I don't know how I would have handled all this without her. The little things that she does to comfort me physically and emotionally. She is ALWAYS there for me. When I get so tired of the pain, she's there to help me. I cannot put into words the depth of the emotion and love I feel for her. I must have done something good in my life for God to have blessed me with her.
By the way, my CMML is still stable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt:
I am the one who posted a comment earlier and my Dad is fighting CMML as well. We live in the Monterey area. My fther's recent CBC shows a trend not so stable any more, his paltelete went down to 15 last time and he got a transfusion yesterday since he had stomach bleeding history and the doctor wants to be careful. The doctor suggested dacogen the week after next week, I am very scared. Have you started any treatment yet or just support treatment? It is very hard to get any CMML treatmnet information since it is such a rare disease and I could not find any local support group who will give more detailed information for CMML and dacogen treatment.

Matt said...

Dear Cure: While I have not started any treatment yet, Dacogen would be the 1st choice. There's an article in the journal CANCER (Feb )that shows it to be 58% effective in provide a complete remission which lasts 2-3 years. If you can't find it, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you.
I've had CMML for about a year with no treatment as I am stable. I've also been taking herbal meds -including shark liver oil for platelets - working with a clinical nutritionist for the last 8 months and I'm convinced that has helped keep me stable. I'd be happy to give you more info, but not in this forum. Have you considered a mini cell stem transplant? It has a 30% CURE rate, must be done before age 75, the patient must be in good physical condition and is very expensive.
I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.
Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt:
I am so glad that you take time to reply to my comment. I hope you feel better now.Here is my email:lian.pine@sbcglobal.net I want to find out more information about the cancer article and the shark liver oil/nutritionist information. Would you email me back? Thanks so much for your help. You are such a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

Matt:
Where do you get the shark liver oil? what is the best quality brand? I have not heard any thing about it before. Since my Dad has gout as well, I hope it does not trigger gout attack.I Look forward to hearing from you soon and please email me. (see my previous comments for email address).