Tuesday, June 12, 2007

On the mend - hopefully

Saw the orthopedist on Monday. Very professional, but lacking warmth. Maybe warmth is not what I need right now. He again quizzed me on how I got the break, which I still don't know. I saw the cat scan and the break. It appears to be healing normally and should heal in another 6 to 8 weeks. He wants me to do some things - one of which is exercise. That means walking, using my walker. I plan to do that for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times a day or more often. Finding a flat place to walk will be a challange. He also wants me to get off the morphine and use Percocet for any pain. We work out a taper program that should minimize withdrawal symptoms. It starts today.
Before I saw the orthopedist, I was very depressed with increased thoughts of suicide rather than put up with the pain. I'm really a coward and don't think I could off myself, but the thought gives me another mental option. Now, I have an objective to work towards and my attitude has changed for the better.
My lab values for the CMML remain steady, with my platelet count showing a slow increase. We'll deal with that once my fracture is "fixed"

1 comment:

Cory said...

Glad to hear that you have a plan!