Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Doctors Visits

Thursday, I saw my oncologist at Kaiser and yesterday I saw my orthpedist at Kaiser. The news was encouraging on both ends.
My oncologist basically stated that I was still stable and he did not want to start treatment with Dacogen. I agreed with that. My platelet level was down again to 44 - low but not dangerously low. I'm going to cut out one of my herbals to see if that does anything. I discussed the pain in my sides that I have been having and he's going to ultrasound my spleen & liver to see if they are enlarged. He thinks the spleen may be, but doesn't know about the liver.

The orthopedist told me that I was really lucky. My break in the bone was clear through, not a partial fracture, but the bone stayed in place, and eventually started healing on its own. He stated that many people after these fractures, even with surgury to pin both ends together, still don't heal properly. The healing is continuing as it should, and he wants me to increase my walking - both in speed and time to build up endurance. I do tire after I walk and this morning I walked faster and a slightly longer distance, and got tired. He would not predict whether I would return to pre-break normalcy, but my feeling is that I will or at least be close to normal. I showed him how I walk without any support and he noticed a limp. "Get rid of the limp" he told me. You do this by putting more pressure on the limping side. Physical therapy is not necessary and he'll see me in 3 months. Oh, bye the way, I drove to and from the appointment.
My ability to drive will give some of the freedom that Arlene gave up to take care of me back to her. That and the ability to regain some of the freedom I lost makes me feel real good. All of this and the lack of any real severe pain makes me feel less vulnerable to the CMML, although I know that will change. I'm going to enjoy this feeling while I can.

1 comment:

Cory said...

That's some fantastic news! Congratulations on all the goodness!