Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The painful road to recovery

It's Monday, time for my weekly blood draw. Like last monday, I drive there by myself. I also have errands to do after - by myself.
It's also the first day of physical therapy. My physical therapist is Rachel, who is a MPT. I was concerned prior to the appt that I'd get someone who I wouldn't like, and I wanted a woman because I think I relate better to women. I like Rachel and I think we'll work well together. She tells me that she thinks my orthopedist doesn't like physical therapy and they don't get very many referrels from him. She gives me some exercises to start - small ones so as not to push me. I am encouraged, but I still have back pain and pain on my sides. There is nothing in the way I feel or the way I walk that makes me think that I won't recover fully or almost fully.
Sunday, I was in a bit of a depressive mood. Arlene was doing work outside - stuff I would normally do like cleaning and weeding. When she came in, I started crying. I was feeling sorry for myself and I told her to "look what you have to put up with - an old and helpless man." I don't remember her response except that it was a loving response. Thank you, Arlene. I needed that.
Friday I had ultrasound done on my liver and spleen to see if they were enlarged and causing me the pain on my sides. Arlene kept calling them sonograms. No Arlene, they are not sonograms and I am not pregnant. They all came back negative - spleen slightly enlarged but the same size as last September. Liver, normal. No stones anywhere - thank goodness. I won't have to worry about pissing rocks. Also no cause of my pain on my sides.
Finding the cause of my pain will be the next big push. In the meantime, Percocet and Norco will keep the pain under some control

4 comments:

Cory said...

Sorry to hear about the pain. But I'm really glad to hear that you like Rachel. Physical therapy really sucks when you don't like the therapist. A good one makes it better.

Christine said...

Stumbled on your blog thru Cory - just wanted to say hello. My god daughter was diagnoised with ALL Leukemia a year and a half ago (at the age of 1 1/2) she is a fighter. It is a tough journey - and if you are surrounded by strength and love - things will be okay. Great blog by the way - it is a great way to think things thru.

Matt said...

Hi christine. Thanks for your comments. I wish your god daughter all the best and hope she wins her battle.
Matt

Moby Dick said...

Tough it out, Matt. You can do it.